Build your own Windows RDP using Windows 7 on Digitalocean VPS is what we will discuss in this article. But before we continue the discussion on Digitalocean Windows 7 Install Tutorial, let’s understand some of the terms and words that may be unfamiliar for you.
What is RDP?
RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is a default protocol of the Windows Operating System that we can use to remotely run a Windows system.
Windows operating system which runs on VPS is equipped with very vast internet speed. This is one of the benefits of installing Windows on VPS like DigitalOcean, which will have up to 1 Gbps internet speed. So we can use it to do anything or run any applications which need blazing fast internet speed.
What is VPS?
VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a system which is similar to an ordinary computer but doesn’t have physical hardware. It is only virtualizaton of a physical server. It’s like we create a virtual system using VirtualBox or VMWare that doesn’t use physical infrastructure.
As VPS just like a normal computer, It also has CPU Core, RAM, and Disk. Most of VPS now use fast SSD Disk and rarely use hard drives because it is slower.
The amount of CPU, RAM, and Disk specifications depends on the package and the cost offered by the VPS provider. The greater the specifications, the rent price is also more expensive.
VPS can be installed with the Linux and Windows operating systems. After the installation of the operating system, we can also install apps on the OS. For example, Installing Debian Linux and then install nginx, php, mysql to be used as a web server. Or Installing Windows to be used as RDP to run certain applications.
What is DigitalOcean?
DigitalOcean is one of the cloud service providers where we can create VPS droplets. Actually for now DigitalOcean does not provide or enable features to create Windows VPS on its droplet. But we can still build Windows VPS on DigitalOcean using tricks which we will discuss this time.
We use DigitalOcean because this cloud provider has many features and the price is also affordable. Additionally, DigitalOcean will provide a FREE credits of $100 valid for 60 days for those of you who register a new account using this link:
Why use Windows 7?
There are several choices of Windows versions that we can use such as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10 or Windows Server. This time I will use Windows 7 because it is more stable and lighter. So it does not require high VPS specifications which will affect the rent price as well.
In addition, I have optimized this Windows 7 image and adjust some settings, so that it doesn’t consume a lot of resources and is even lighter. For other versions of Windows we will discuss in other articles.
Anyway, the Windows 7 image that we will be using already using Windows 7 updates in 2020. I have updated this Windows 7 image until January 2020. So the security is good enough, and it is up to you want to install an additional Antivirus or not, because Antivirus takes up a lot of its VPS resources.
How to Build DigitalOcean RDP using Windows 7
- Log in to your DigitalOcean Account. If you don’t have an account yet, you can sign up here.
- On the Droplets menu, click Create -> Droplets.
- Under Choose an Image choose Distributions -> Ubuntu 18.04 (LTS).
- Under Choose a Plan select Standard -> Click the left arrow -> choose the leftmost $5 or the $10. This is the selection of VPS specifications which we will rent. The more expensive the higher the spec and faster.
- Choose the nearest data center in the Choose a datacenter region option. The selection of the data center is important because it would impact on the network connection. If you choose the datacenter which far from your location, the RDP connection quality could be poor due to the network routing.
- Authentication select a One-time password.
- You can change the name of the droplet in the Choose a Hostname section.
- If everything is ok, click Create Droplet.
- After the new droplet is created, enter its droplet to see the settings on the droplet.
- Turn off or shutdown the droplet by clicking the ON button on the top right -> click Turn Off
- Enter the Recovery menu, select Boot from Recovery ISO.
- Turn on or restart the droplet by clicking the OFF button on the top right, making sure it is ON.
- Enter the droplet Console by clicking the Console button, a new popup window will appear and displaying the contents of the droplet.
- Click on the screen and type 1 to mount the disk.
- Then click and type 6 to enter the command line shell.
- Type in the following command:
wget -O- https://archive.org/download/win7.img_202001/win7.img.gz | gunzip | dd of=/dev/vda bs=512
Wait until the process is complete. This will take a while so please just be patient. If the process has been completed, please turn off or shut down the droplet and return the boot to normal in the Recovery menu.
Then turn on the droplet again and open the console again. Windows 7 screen will appear on the console screen if the above process is done correctly.
If there is no Windows 7 loading screen, please repeat the above process. Especially in step 16 and the most important thing is to make sure the process runs until it’s finished.
How to Configure Windows 7 DigitalOcean RDP
After all processes are complete, please log in to Windows 7 with the following details:
Username : Administrator
Password : Debrislinux.org
Up to this point, Windows 7 can’t be remote via RDP yet. Because the IP address on Windows 7 has not been setup. To set a Windows 7 IP address you can go through the regular menu from the Open Network and Sharing Center -> click Local Area Connection -> click Properties -> double click Internet Protocol Version 4 -> fill in the IP address settings as listed in the console window at the bottom.
If the mouse on the console cannot be used, we can set the IP Address via CMD (command prompt). Please see the following article:
How to Change Windows Computer IP Address from CMD
Video Tutorial How to Install Windows 7 on DigitalOcean VPS
If you have difficulty and are unclear with the tutorial that I explained above, please see the full video tutorial here:
Video Tutorial How to Install Windows 7 DigitalOcean RDP
Creating your own Windows 7 RDP on VPS DigitalOcean can be done easily. Even though DigitalOcean doesn’t actually have a feature for Windows installation on its Droplet, we can still install Windows 7 on DigitalOcean using the above method.
Windows 7 is lightweight enough to run with just 1 CPU droplet specification, 1GB of RAM for $5/month. This Windows 7 image has been updated with an official update from Microsoft until January 2020. However, this Windows 7 image has not been activated, so a notification will appear for the activation of each startup.